So I’ve been in Leeds for over a month now and still haven’t made any posts…too much stuff has been going on! It’s not that I haven’t been recording my adventure (I’ve been doing it through video on the 1 Second Every Day app and privately by writing
It’s just that I haven’t posted, and every time I think about don’t so I am struck with the overwhelming amount of stuff I need to cover that I haven’t yet.
So this is just my quick way of quickly blasting though all of the different things I’ve done so that I can actually get back to posting regularly (well, semi regularly) without forgetting or feeling guilty about forgeting anything.
If I do eventually get back to writing full posts on these things, I’ll link the post about it back here, just so we can have some semblance of chronlogical order here. I might also add a few photos here or there within this post in the future so that it doesn’t feel so wordy.
Oh, and I’ll probably back fill the last few weeks with some posts I started but never finished about general exchange things (what to bring, what to remember etc). But back to the topic at hand.
So without futher ado, here is what I’ve been up to (the big stuff, checking emails, calling parents, reading books, shopping for groceries etc are a given that I do every week at least)!
- Vacation with family in London, take bus up to Leeds cus train tickets super expensive last minute
- City museum and town hall visit – cool stuff but nothing particularly noteworthy
- Visiting the Royal Armories Museum in Leeds (fantastic fantastic museum & I really need to go back soon, so much to do and see there!)
- Leeds trinity shopping mall – cool food trucks, tasty food, really pretty looking skylight
- Amsterdam for a day (needed it to sort out my visa, took train to city center, lots of pretty snow, bikes and ferries, didn’t get the chance to go to any museums cus I needed to get back to airport quickly)
- Standard welcome to university orientation stuff – including a joke about brexit by some pretty welcoming and funny international student affairs people 😛
- Registration, moving into Monty B, finding supermarkets, doing some shopping etc…
- Met up with a professor here to do plan on doing some research while I’m here
- Group dinner with HKU people at a local Chinese restaraunt (kinda overpriced but the food was good)
- Classes start: I get lost quite a bit and figure out the MC Escher-esque building that is Roger Stevens
- Complex class schedule messiness I need to work out since there are several timetable clashes and I’m over the credit limit + trying to transfer credits etc
- Quidditch Give it a Go session with the Leeds Griffins + tons of weekly practice afterward
- Fall in love with the Brotherton Library, which is so much fancier than the E Boyle library I had been going to
- Treasures of Brotherton library & the art museum – really cool that it is just on campus with pretty interesting books and paintings to see
- Chinese New Year hot pot with a bunch of new friends from different schools in HK
- Start contacting and chatting with my HKU mentor in London
- LUU rooted rooftop garden volunteering – planting, pruning, composting etc
- Cookbooks through time talk- 6 really cool cookbooks from Leeds Library (one of largest cookery collections in world) brought to life by a great historian walking us through them
- Visit Kirkgate market (Brilliant place, tons of super cheap produce, great food, fantastic building, world’s first Marks and Spencers etc)
- Start my own compost box with flatmates – 2 move in at a later date as they swapeddue to their old accomodations being in the middle of nowhere 😀
- Leeds art museum visit – liked the Leonardo special exhibit they had going on at the time
- Cottonopolis V in Manchester (My first Quidditch tournement in England) – fun time taking the slow train and joking about the different names for little towns like Todmorden
- Voted in the Leeds Student Union elections
- Thackery Medical Museum visit as part of a class – great little one, price a bit pricy if you aren’t going on someone elses dime XP
- Staying on top of my responsiblilities back at HKU & planning for which positions I want to run for when I get back (Senior Equal Opportunity Advisor, Quiddtich Team ExCo, Sci Peer tutoring payment stuff, Green ambassador, etc.)
- Just cus I’m on exchange doesn’t mean I get a free pass lol
- Visited Bradford using First in West Yorkshire day pass (really cool city! visited the media museum, art galllery and was going to visit police museum or peace museum but closed by the time I got there)
- More Quidditch – mainly focused of stratagy and tackling (training for the British Quidditch Cup)
- Dinners with flatsmates who are amazing at cooking so I mainly help with the shoping and dishes
- Vegan wine and cheese tasting night – where I learn that not all wine is vegan
- British Sign Language with a friend at a Give it a Go night
- Finishing a couple of assignments and other things due for my various classes
- Meeting with professor to discuss possible summer projects and my application to the ORF that HKU science has
So that catches you up to where I am now, as of March 6th. I’ll probably put another post out on Saturday about the stuff I did the day before, since I’m turning 21 on Friday and have a bunch of stuff planned!
Here’s to more posts in the future!